welcome, and thank you for joining me on my farm and studio in southern lancaster county, pennsylvania
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Monday, October 5, 2009

morning has broken


Morning has broken,
like the first morning.
Blackbird has spoken,
like the first bird.
Praise for the singing!
Praise for the morning!
Praise for them springing,
fresh from the word!
Sweet the rain's new fall,
sunlit from heaven.
Like the first dew fall,
on the first grass.
Praise for the sweetness
of the wet garden,
Sprung in completeness
where his feet pass.
Mine is the sunlight,
mine is the morning,
Born of the one light
Eden saw play.
Praise with elation,
praise every morning,
God's re-creation of the new day.

That old hymn, originally an even older gaelic tune, and popularized by Cat Stevens was the inspiration for this piece. It's this sort of song and performance that makes me wish I was a musician and singer. The best I can do is to try to capture the mood, feeling, and emotion the piece evokes.

I might take another shot at this, perhaps making the scene more lush in order to better capture the mood of the song. I'll have to think on it...

At Diddywopps & Keeffers gallery in Monkton, MD.

1 comment:

Country Girl said...

I love that song but didn't really know the history of it until now. You've certainly captured the song in this piece.