welcome, and thank you for joining me on my farm and studio in southern lancaster county, pennsylvania
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Friday, April 30, 2010

sad, sad

This morning I found Apricot's baby dead in the barn. Last night she was nursing and getting around nicely, Apricot was taking good care of her, and all seemed well. The only answer I have is that perhaps she got too close to Aster and her baby and got butted up against the wall. Not something I expected since I spent quite a bit of time observing and Aster who is normally the most gentle and mild of all my sheep didn't seem to mind sharing quarters. But then this morning I witnessed her giving Mayapple's white ram lamb quite the shove into a fence when he got too close outside. So now Aster and her daughter are alone in a paddock just to be safe. And no, I'm not angry with her, but I am disappointed in myself and saddened by the needless loss.

Apricot is calling for her baby almost non-stop and there's nothing I can do for her.

Another hard lesson learned.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My heart aches for Apricot and you. Very sad news.

Andrea

Michelle said...

I am so very sorry; that sucks.

Tracie said...

I am so sorry. Don't beat yourself up too much. You can't anticipate every little thing that might go wrong. You did the best you could. I hope Apricot and you both feel less sad soon.