welcome, and thank you for joining me on my farm and studio in southern lancaster county, pennsylvania
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

pondering life


Just 12" tall from tip of wing to tip of toe, this little lady is a part of my more recent explorations into adding ceramics to my mixed media arsenal. Rather than being mounted on a base, she is "free-sitting" for placement on a shelf or mantel. Supported by a tiny wire, the bird illustrates her fleeting thoughts as she ponders the single egg in the nest on her lap. 

After she was bisque fired, I applied a wash of black iron oxide and then wiped most of it off, with the iron staying in the nooks and crannies. She was then fired a final time, with the result being a very matte, organic feel, rather than smooth and glossy. While made of stoneware, her hair is wire, her legs swing freely, and she is subtly tinted with oil paint. 

No comments: