welcome, and thank you for joining me on my farm and studio in southern lancaster county, pennsylvania
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Monday, September 1, 2008

bacon anyone?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."  Winston Churchill
No, I am not a vegetarian. I like meat. I do not, however like the idea of eating meat that came from a "factory" farm or confinement operation. I believe an animal should be treated with compassion, dignity, and respect even if it is destined for the table. And so this year I decided to raise a couple of pigs on pasture. I thought that if I enjoyed their presence here, I'd do it every year. One for me and one to sell. Unfortunately, although I like pork, I don't think I care much for raising pigs. No bucolic, peaceful scene for them. Pigs are demanding creatures with lusty appetites. I have never met an animal that enjoys its food quite the way a pig does. They are no-holds-barred, all or nothing eaters, and God help anyone or anything that gets in their way! I know now where the saying "eats like a pig" comes from. Wow. 

Although they are being raised primarily on pasture, I supplement with a small amount of grain as well as table scraps, and garden waste. Below you can see them enjoying some spent sweet corn stalks that I cut from the garden for them.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

"I do not, however like the idea of eating meat that came from a "factory" farm or confinement operation. I believe an animal should be treated with compassion, dignity, and respect even if it is destined for the table."

I just wanted to say that we have a hog confinement operation and all of our animals are always treated with "compassion, dignity, and respect". I know the media likes to portray large operation farmers as cruel and uncaring but like a lot of things the media puts out there, it is not always the truth in every case.

BTW, your sculptures are wonderful, thanks for sharing them.

Best of luck with Shetlands, but beware, they are very addictive! hehe