welcome, and thank you for joining me on my farm and studio in southern lancaster county, pennsylvania
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

the latest arrivals to the farm

Why, now, what could possibly be in this box?
Too small for lambs, not enough ventilation for chicks, I already have every kind of bee I need or want.

How about...

Worms!

A pound of red wigglers, to be exact.

These guys are used in something called vermicomposting, where you have worms, bedding such as shredded newspaper or dead leaves, and kitchen waste. Add a little water and some time, and you get beautiful compost for your garden. Some folks keep them in a ventilated plastic rubbermaid tote bin under their kitchen sink. Mine are temporarily in a bin, but in the garage. Long-term, I'd like to build them a wooden box that could be kept outside in the summer and either in the garage or the greenhouse in the winter, but more research is needed before box construction can begin. I'd like to design it in such a way that it's easy to remove the finished compost without disturbing the whole works.

How did I happen upon vermicomposting? In a slightly convoluted way as things often are. I was surfing around he net, looking at what some other market gardeners are doing and growing and became intrigued by the possibility of growing fraises des bois, gourmet alpine strawberries. Searching further brought me to The Strawberry Store. And there I learned about the worms.

From what I understand, a "tea" can be made from the vermicompost which is then sprayed on plants. Multiple benefits are touted from this concoction. It should be an interesting process, from worms and waste to improved plant health and vigor.

I'll keep you posted.

(and yes, I also ordered fraises des bois seeds)

4 comments:

Lilac Cottage Homestead said...

I'm a worm farmer too. I got mine this past Feb. I like it.I feed them scaps and they give me fertilizer.

Kelly

Tracie said...

We keep talking about doing this. I look forward to reading more about your set up.

Sheltie Owner said...

You are a hoot! Always into something new and interesting. But worms?! Never would have thought it...

Penny said...

Oh cool! Where did you find the worms?? I'm wanting to do this too. =)