welcome, and thank you for joining me on my farm and studio in southern lancaster county, pennsylvania
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Friday, March 26, 2010

farm update

flora...
An awful lot of seeds are being sown into soil blocks and many, many seedlings are being potted up right now. This is the big push to get everything seeded in order to be ready for herb fairs and spring planting. Since the garden soil is still too wet and too cold to do any planting outside, all the work is in the greenhouse, which is a really nice place to be this time of year.

and fauna...
Once again the sheep are naked, having been set-upon by the shearer last week. Two of the ewes are confined to the barn where I can keep a better eye on them as they both had a bout with pregnancy toxemia. I think they'll be alright, but I won't be able to relax until the lambs arrive.
Griselda the goose is still laying eggs but shows no inclination to start sitting on them yet. Seems like she should by now, but it also seems I think that every year about this time.
Chickens - what can I say? With six roosters and just three hens, things are seriously out of balance. One of these fine Tuesdays I need to take three of those roosters for a ride to Roots farmers market where they have a small animal auction. It's something that should have been done last fall but I put it off and then winter hit. Hopefully a more reasonable hen-to-rooster balance will be restored once the silky peeps get here.
Of course we musn't forget the bees. Honeys will be arriving in early April and bumbles will be ordered as soon as the greenhouse tomatoes start taking blooming seriously.

It seems almost as though the tiny little farm is holding it's breath, waiting, in anticipation of all of the new life soon to burst forth... seeds, lambs, goslings, peeps... bees.

Soon, soon.

4 comments:

Jody M said...

Are you going to be having veggie plants at the Herb Festival, too, or just herbs? I've never been there, thought I'd ask.

Kathleen Stoltzfus said...

Jody,
I'll have both herbs and vegetables at both fairs. The York fair is a little early for some of the vegetables like tomatoes, but I'll have everything at Landis Valley.

Jody M said...

OK, I'll try to make Landis Valley then, too. I have a list of a few things I want to get from you, like the Snowberry and Japanese Trifele tomatoes. I catch you there, too!

Sheltie Owner said...

You write so well that I can *feel* the anticipation. The farm is ready to burst with life...ahh, the glory of spring.