welcome, and thank you for joining me on my farm and studio in southern lancaster county, pennsylvania
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

back on schedule? one can only hope.

So I bit the bullet and rented a riding rototiller. They delivered it early this morning and by eight a.m., I was out there tearing up sod with this baby. For four hours. Non-stop. First, I went back over and completed what was started with the walk-behind version. Next came the potato and bean plots. Last, I prepped a plot that won't see any actual use until 2011. In the meantime, it will be planted to a cover crop of mow-down alfalfa which is supposed to help break up compacted soil while also adding nitrogen to the soil. A win-win.

With the major tilling completed, planting should get back on schedule. Flower, tomato, cabbage family, melon, and cucumber seedlings can now all go in along with potatoes, beans, and soon, corn. With the exception of shoots for salads, I've given up on peas this year, it's just too late to start them any more. Ah well, moving on.

Later today I'll mark out beds and add amendments. Then tomorrow morning will be dedicated to planting. Tomorrow afternoon I'll be loading up seedlings for the Landis Valley Herb and Garden Fair on Friday and Saturday. Looking forward to it.

2 comments:

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

I'll see you there if all goes as planned.

I'm looking forward to the Fair as always.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Jody M said...

Boy, I don't blame you. I'd have rented that monster, too.

Hoping to put in my mail order this weekend. I can't make it to Landis Valley this year. Have a good time!