welcome, and thank you for joining me on my farm and studio in southern lancaster county, pennsylvania
-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Monday, March 30, 2009

shipment of cuteness

Now seriously, have you ever received anything so cute in the mail? Yes, in case you didn't know this already, you can place an order online and they'll send you a box of chicks! How great is that? Opening up a box of baby chicks is always exciting and rewarding. I guess to me they represent innocence but also future potential - beauty, enjoyment, and of course, the inevitable eggs. Oh yes I know, eggs should probably come first in that list, but part of the enjoyment of keeping chickens, at least for me, is their beauty. So while there are many, many breeds that would be more productive, I choose the ones that give me pleasure to look at. In this instance, form beats out function. Hey, I'm an artist - are you surprised?

So in this box are White Crested Black Polish bantams, Blue Silky bantams, and Porcelain bantams. If you're interested in getting some chickens yourself, or are just curious about poultry, visit the McMurray Hatchery website and take a look. You never know, you might find something you like.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Envy! I have long admired the Porcelain D'Uccles, myself, but around here I am afraid they would be "snacks" for something else. Ah well, my Sebastopols are plenty decorative!